Monday, June 30, 2008

Einstein and the Festival Witches

On the parquet floor inside the TD Banknorth Garden sports arena in Boston on June 17th the Celtics smashed the L.A. Lakers, winning their 17th NBA Title. But the real bloodbath took place on a sidewalk in Pasadena a few days earlier.

It began so pleasantly. My mom had taken me and Garbo to the sidewalk art festival in Pasadena, where chalk artists were busy drawing colorful creations like this one.
First, I hobnobbed awhile with Albert Einstein and stopped to let the artist drawing the scientist pet and admire me.

So joyful and peaceful was the experience, I felt at one with the chalk image.
Sadly, the euphoria didn't last. When we meandered to a completed chalk portrait of Boston forward Paul "The Truth" Pierce and Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant, all bloody hell broke loose. Emotions were high among humans in L.A. on the days leading to the brutal NBA championship game. Me, I'd prefer staring at a gopher hole for several hours than spending one minute watching sweaty men in baggy shorts running around a stuffy room. 

Apparently, I got too close to Kobe's egghead.
"Your dog is smudging the chalk art!" a woman shrieked.
"You are soooooo rude!" shrilled the harridan's pal.

The festival witches squawked in unison to my astounded mother: "You're letting your stupid dog ruin this beautiful work of art!!!" They got even more belligerent when Mom snapped a picture of them mid-cackle.
But I didn't worry. For months, all that I have been hearing coming from our stereo speaker is this nerdy voice encouraging listeners to "make peace with the present moment" and "be one with life." Thank God for that Eckhart Tolle, surely my mom would remember. . .

"My little dog didn't touch Kobe Bryant's head!" my mother screamed back. "It was already smudged!"

While the humans exchanged loud accusations, I considered relieving myself on Kobe's face. But that wouldn't help in my journey to enlightenment, and I didn't want my mother to get beat up. Garbo and I patiently waited until someone official looking stepped in and broke it up with a few stern "move alongs."

After that, I was no dummy. I kept my distance from the artwork on the sidewalk. Damned if my mom can't find inner stillness. Damned if she can't make the present moment her friend. At least someone was listening to Tolle. And I believe the new species arising on the planet he speaks of is an enlightened dog.

No comments: